Five Survive: The Final Review

 


    Alas, it is my final blog of the school year, and I'm relieved. I enjoy writing blogs, but it takes a while to write. Anyway, for my final book review, I will be reviewing Five Survive, a book by Holly Jackson. I first found this book by Googling my favorite type of genre, mystery books, and this book stood out to me. I first saw the number "5" and it immediately brought me back to my favorite book, One of Us is Lying, I was interested in it. 5 Survive is an interesting book, to say the least.
    The book takes place during spring break. There was a group of 6 friends, Red, Maddy, Simon, Arthur, Oliver, and Reyna. Red was the main protagonist, a 17-year-old girl living in Philadelphia, and Maddy was her best friend. Simon (whose uncle owned the vehicle) was a classmate of Red, and he had also brought his best friend Arthur. To surpervise the group of teenagers was Maddy's older brother, Oliver, who brought his girlfriend, Reyna. They are taking a road trip to the beach in an RV when it suddenly breaks down. They couldn't reach for any help as there wasn't any cell service. However, one of these friends had a secret, a secret and someone (the sniper) would be willing to kill for, but who is it? What is the secret? Was the RV purposely broken down?
    I found this book really interesting. I mean, just from the summary alone, it was intriguing. I enjoyed reading the book over the past couple of weeks. I liked how Jackson wrote about the characters, and I think she did a particularly good job developing the character of Red. The story is fast-paced, and I felt like I had finished reading it in a blink of an eye. However, some of the characters started to annoy me because their personality was just not well-developed. For example, Simon was constantly drunk (and I might I mention, he is underage), and it was so annoying. I remember thinking to myself, "Oh my gosh, he's drunk again?"
    Despite the annoying characters of the book, I still found it interesting. I'm not sure if I loved it, but I most definitely liked it. I would rate it an 8/10.  Also, I just want to say thank you for a good school year of blogs, and I will definitely read some of the books that people wrote blogs on! 

Have a great (but early) summer!
Jenny Nham

Comments

  1. Hi Jenny, I imagine you are very relieved to have one more burden lifted from your shoulders! Nonetheless, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! Holly Jackson is such an amazing author and I've enjoyed lots of her other work. Congrats on your final blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny! I personally love Holly Jackson and her works. You did a great job giving a description of the book and giving your opinion about the book. I will for sure check this book out during the summer! Great blog Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny! Before seeing your review, I had only slightly heard of this book before because of the author's other book One of Us Is Lying. I've read that book before and enjoyed it a lot. Your description of the book gives me a good idea about what the book is about without spoiling too much. Thanks for your review and this will probably be a book I will read over the summer! -Ava

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny! I think I read this book last year, and I also felt like I read it super quickly because it's based in the span of one night. Holly Jackson is one of those authors that always writes really good books. This was a really great review! I hope you have a good summer :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham