Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham

In the year 2016, Dav Pilkey, the author of Captain Underpants, released the book, Dog Man. The graphic novel became a bestseller for many years and was quickly turned into a hit series. When I was younger, I quickly became attached to these books and read them all throughout third and fourth grade. In this blogpost, I will be rating all the Dog Man books from 2016-2018.

Before we start, what is Dog Man? Dog Man used to be two people. A police officer and his police dog, named Greg. While Greg and his owner were trying to diffuse a bomb, the two were blown up. At the hospital, the doctors concluded that the police officer's head was dying, and Greg's body was dead too. The doctors then devised the idea to sew the police officer's body and Greg's head together. Thus, being born; Dog Man.

The books that were released from the year 2016-2018 were Dog Man, Dog Man: Unleashed, Dog Man: The Tale of Two Kitties, Dog Man and Cat Kid, and Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas.

5: Dog Man: Unleashed


Arguably the least memorable book, I would rank Dog Man: Unleashed as the worst book out of the five. However, I am not saying this isn't the worst Dog Man book, I am just saying that this is the worst book out of the five. I am ranking it at 5 because I did not remember much of this book and had to look up a summary to jog my memory. In Dog Man: Unleashed, Dog Man had a fish that would eat "brain dots", and when the fish ate it, it would release disastrous events. 

RANKING: 3/5

4: Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas


Coming in at number four on this list is Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas. In this graphic novel, Petey, the main antagonist of the Dog Man series, dressed up as a "doctor" to take Lil' Petey, a non-evil clone of Petey, back. However, later on in the book, Petey finds Lil' Petey in danger and had to call Dog Man for help. I put this book as number four because I found that the plot wasn't as interesting as the other plots. Although I enjoyed reading it, I do not think it was "better" than the other Dog Man books on this list.

RATING: 4/5

3: Dog Man and Cat Kid

I found the last 3 books hard to rank as I love all of them. In Dog Man and Cat Kid, an actress goes missing and Dog Man and Cat Kid ("Lil' Petey") have to save the day yet again. Although the plot didn't seem interesting at first, when I continued to read it, I really loved it. I came to the conclusion of putting this book at number three because I feel like number two and number one just made better sense. Don't be fooled though, I loved this book when I was younger.


RATING: 4.6/5


2: Dog Man



Now this may be another conserversial opinion. I think the original Dog Man book is a classic. This was the book that got seven-year-old Jenny hooked on the series. In this book, George and Harold from Captain Underpants create the heroic superhero, Dog Man, who goes on many adventures to save the city. I remember reading it over and over again when I was younger. I absolutely loved this book, but out of all the Dog Man books, I wouldn't reach for this book first.


RATING: 4.8/5


1:  A Tale of Two Kitties

My all-time favorite Dog Man book is Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties. Out of all of the Dog Man books on this list, this is the most memorable book that I read. In Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties, Petey creates a clone and named him Lil' Petey. However, Lil' Petey isn't evil like Petey. In fact, he is the opposite. I remember reading this book and loving Lil' Petey. Out of all the Dog Man characters, Lil' Petey is my favorite. I think my bias toward Lil' Petey led this book to be my favorite book out of all the Dog Man books I read.


RATING: 5/5


Comments

  1. Dogman was one of my favorite series as a kid. However, I think dog man and cat kid is the best book in the series since it focuses on my favorite character lil petey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also very hard to read because its black font on black background. I had to highlight the words to see it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I had a different theme on so I changed it. Also, I had problems with copying my work from Google Docs to BlogSpot and didn't notice until after school so I apologize for that as well.

      Delete
  2. Dogman was also one of my favorites. I remember wanting to check it out from the library but I had to wait months before it was in stock. I also liked Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties because it was very heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dogman series was also one of my favorites as a young child. I went through the same scenario in elementary school, trying to get a Dog Man book, but it wasn’t until several weeks that the book became available. I would also rank Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties as my #1.

      Delete
  3. I can remember all the days in 3rd grade reading these books for free reading time, including the classic captain underpants books. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this series when I was a kid! For the most part, I think I agree with your ranking. Dog Man: A tale of two kitties was definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bit of a confession, I still read these books into middle school, and I loved Petey's redemption arc. He's really not so bad now, from what I remember of the more recent novels, he's stepped up and become a good father with part time custody of Li'l Petey. I agree with most of your rankings, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who hasn't ever read Dogman I feel like I missed a part of life

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series was so amazing. It was always a contest in my class to see who could get the newest book first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew that they published more Dogman books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed Dogman in elementary school, my favorite book was Dogman and Cat Kid. This series also reminds me of the school book fair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. A tale of two kitties is the best dog man book

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree as well. Dog is also one of my favorite books that I read during elementary school. I remember when everyone would try to get their hands on the lastest graphic novel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)