Fahrenheit 451: The Temperature at Which Paper Burns (teaser and discussion)


    Fahrenheit 451 written by Ray Bradbury, is one of most famous dystopian books ever, and not without good reason. I read this book a year or two ago, and was immensely pleased by the choice I made to purchase it.
    The book follows protagonist Guy Montag in a futurist American city. In this dystopian world, books are forbidden, and people who are found with books are to have their collections burned. Guy, is a firefighter, but he doesn't put fires out. He is the one who burns the books. People in this world are entertained by giant TV's mounted in their houses, or by the Seashells they wear in their ears, like hearing aids. When I imagine this setting, I imagine a gray scale world, devoid of passion and liveliness. As the book progresses though, Guy becomes disillusioned with his job and the world he lives in, after his wife attempts suicide and a girl who he became friends with dies from a car accident. He becomes even more distraught when he arrives at an old lady's house to burn to her books, and she chooses to burn with the books. He begins to collect and stash books. One day, when Guy doesn't show up for work, his boss pays him a visit. Seeming to know Guy's secret, he tells Guy that it's completely normal for every firefighter to wonder what books provide. He then tells Guy why books were banned in the first place. He explains how minorities and other groups objected to books that they considered offensive, and as a result, authors began to write blandly as to prevent anyone from being offended. However, even this was not enough, and society decided to ban books altogether. Guy's boss gives him 24 hours to burn the books after he's done reading. Following this, Guy begins a journey to upheave the status quo.
    While researching this blog, I found an article which caught my attention, and really got me thinking. The author, Vivienne N. Germain writes "Like an emergency alarm, Bradbury intended his message to serve as a warning. He described himself as “a preventer of futures, not a predictor of them.”

However, it seems impossible to truly prevent a future, and “Fahrenheit 451” eerily predicts several elements of the present day. Long before their inventions, Bradbury wrote about in-ear headphones, flat television screens, and most scarily, an increase in book-banning. As the narrative’s earliest possible setting is 2023, “Fahrenheit 451” is crucially relevant in the present moment." This book was written in 1953. When I first read the book, I did not think about that at all. But looking at it now, it's shocking to see the similarities to today's world. Though I don't agree with everything the author writes: for example she describes the book as boring and lacking nuance, she is absolutely right to criticize today's society and some of Bradbury's views. 

I highly recommend reading this book, and would recommend looking the article linked below as a companion reading.  

-james

The article: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2023/6/12/fahrenheit-451-dystopian-book-censorship/#:~:text=I%20resented%20its%20obvious%20themes,complex%20enough%20to%20excite%20me. 
    

Comments

  1. Hello James, Fahrenheit 451 is one of the first classic dystopian novels that I've ever read. I wouldn't call the process very fun, I found the book extremely confusing and vapid. But your blog lit up my interest again, it's cool to see our future world through old works. Great blog :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello James. I read Fahrenheit 451 last year for my banned book project and although it was pretty confusing I thought it was pretty cool reading about the different technology Bradbury describes. And the fact that a lot of them become real things is even cooler! Also it made me want to see paper burn at 451. Anyways, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James! Fahrenheit 451 is a classic school book. It sounds very interesting, and is at the top of my TBR currently. I also think that is is quite eerie how Bradbury was able to predict the future, our time. I think it really reflects society today. History has always been a valuable tool to us, to learn from the past helps us avoid future mistakes, and books have always been overlooked in history as a learning tool. Fahrenheit 451 is a great 'learning' book, and seems to also be a great book just for pleasure reading. Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma! If you want to borrow a copy, lmk!

      Delete
  4. Hey James, I really liked how you not only gave a review on it but an article and discussed it. Fahrenheit 451 sound like a very interesting book and I think I might have to check it out soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello James, very well mad blog! I read the start of Farenheit 451 last year when I swapped books with Yuto for a day. This blog makes me want to get the book for myself and continue reading it! I also really enjoyed the addition of color coding for different parts of the blog as it really facilitated the reading experience. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James, I really liked how you talked about other people's opinions too. I know book is very controversial and I enjoyed how you discussed your own opinions too. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mr. Yan, I believe that this review you gave on "Fahrenheit 451" is thought-provoking and insightful. You've captured the essence of Ray Bradbury's dystopian masterpiece and highlighted its relevance in today's society. Your analysis of the parallels between the book's futuristic world and our present reality is particularly compelling. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, James, I am very impressed after reading this thought-provoking blog! I remember picking up this book to read it in the beginning of the school year, reluctant to read a book that seemed like any other random book. I was only a few pages in when I stopped and thought to myself, "Why am I wasting my time on this??" Clearly, realizing it now, I was mistaken. Dystopian novels are one of my favorites, and this one does seem to be one of the most famous dystopian novels ever. I find it extremely interesting that this was written in 1953, because his predictions of the future, including the present for him, are surprisingly accurate. This book has successfully made it to the top of my TBR list. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham