Why ANTHROPOCENE A Very Short Introduction is the Perfect Follow-up to Subbie Science By Leo Rota

 

First off, I want to start by saying that I do not like science. Last year it was probably one of my least favorite classes and I definitely did not read this book by choice. Even taking this into account, I surprisingly never got bored reading this book, and I believe someone who truly does like science will find it even more interesting.

ANTHROPOCENE A Very Short Introduction (I will call it Anthropocene from now on) is a scientific book about how humans have affected Earth with global warming, animal and plant extinction, and terraforming. The book provides multiple different possibilities for moments in time when humans had affected the Earth so much that it could be considered a new epoch (a period of time significantly different to the previous epoch) and along the way explains in detail many ways humans have changed Earth, for the better and the worse. Anthropocene finds the perfect balance between providing the reader with all the information they need and explaining things in a way that is easily understandable. Even reading this book after 1 a.m. every night (because as I said I was being forced to read it and I am not wasting my day reading a science book) I was still able to follow almost every idea conveyed in the book.

Although the author deserves most of the merit, another big reason this book was understandable was all the information we have learned in science up to this point. It almost feels as if Anthropocene was written just to be given out at the end of Subbie science, because every concept that is left unexplained in the book, was covered in that class. While I do believe that many people, including myself, want to never think about that class again, I still think that if you had to choose a scientific book to read, this would be one of the best options.


Comments

  1. Hey Leo. I like how you never got bored reading this book but read it at 1 AM to "not waste your time" I also would like to read it since Subbie science was last year and it was apparently (based on you) "written just to be given out at the end of Subbie science". You should definitely go around and lend the book to subbies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to be forced to read scientific books over breaks, it's pretty interesting that we have that in common. As well as sleeping really late, I guess. Last summer I read most of a book abt human physiology called The Body, by Bill Bryson, if anyone else is interested in reading nonfiction books breaking down complicated but common topics, I highly recommend it. In the meantime, I'll add Anthropocene to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leo, I would definitely say a lot of our class of had a bit of a distressing Subbie Science experience and I liked how you used that as something in your post we can relate to. Thanks for sharing and although it probably wouldn't be something I'd normally read, I will keep this book in mind for the future if I'm ever struggling with terraforming again :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it would have defenently helped me as a subby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recommendation Leo, I am needing more educational books to read, and am glad that subbie science is being put to somewhat of a good use outside of school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I hated subbie science, I might try reading this book :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic recommendation, Leo. You should tell the subbies about this book so they can benefit from it. It would work great as the class's main textbook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems like it really would be an amazing book for the end of subbie science. Although this book would definitely help the subbies, this would probably only make sense after they finished subbie science as they would have no idea what the book would have been talking about otherwise. Other than that though, this was a really interesting book review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that many people can agree that subbie science was not the best subject that year. Though I would like to read this book seeing as you would stay up till 1 AM.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham