A Good Girl's Guide to Murder: A Review by Jenny Nham

(T/W: mention of suicide and murder)

    Hello! Welcome to my first blog this semester! I have always heard good reviews about A Good Girl's Guide to Murder either on social media or general people recommending it to me, and I've finally got around to finishing it over winter break. While reading the book, I could understand why people liked it so much.
    A Good Girl's Guide to Murder is a trilogy written by Holly Jackson and published in 2019. The first book, A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (obviously) centers around a 17-year-old girl named Pippa Fitz-Amobi who is researching the death of Andie Bell for her final year project. The police deemed Andrea "Andie" Bell's case as a murder-suicide where Sal Singh, her boyfriend, was framed for the death of Andie. As Pip continues to research this case, she becomes increasingly suspicious of the death, and she doesn't believe what the police say about the deaths. As the book continues, Pip continues to find more and more evidence, even with the amount of plot twists.
    You see, I've always loved thrillers and mysteries, whether it was a movie or a book, so people started to recommend this book, and I was already interested. When I started to read it, I had high expectations, and in my opinion, it did not disappoint. I found myself trying to figure out who the potential murderers were with Pip (however, my guesses were always incorrect — I have bad detective skills), and it was really fun! I also think I was really drawn into this book because of the plot twists, and I always found myself at the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next.
    In the end, I enjoyed this book a lot. However, I did find the structure of the book confusing at first but quickly adjusted to it. 9.2/10

Comments

  1. Hello Jenny! I too have heard a lot of good reviews of A Good Girl's Guide to Murder mostly on social media and it has been on under my "Books to Read" list for about two months. It's good to see that it's not just a fad and actual, real-life people enjoy the novel! But is there a particular reason you went for 9.2/10 instead of 10/10? What could've made it a perfect book in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robenas! For me, I found the format rather confusing, so I'd like to have the author stick to one style of writing!

      Delete
  2. Hey Jenny! I personally love A Good Girl's Guide to Murder! It is one of my favorite book series and you did a great job of summarizing the plot without spoiling too much. I also have bad detectives skills and felt drawn to the book because of my love for thrillers! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jenny! A Good Girl's Guide to Murder has always been on my reading list, I'm pretty sure this is my 2nd time reading a blog on this book. I'm also a big fan of mysteries(as you can see in my past blogs), and I'm super glad that this book didn't disappoint you :D. For me, I often find myself disappointed multiple times if I have a high expectation for a book (sometimes I don't even know what I'm expecting but I'm just not satisfied...). But your blog made me want to read it even more now :D.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham