A review of Five Total Strangers by Natalie D. Richards: James Yan

Five Total Strangers: a book review  


Hi guys, welcome back to the Happy Hippo Readers blog. Over the summer, I read Five Total Strangers, a thriller novel that was actually really interesting. This book is about Mira, who is trying to come back home for Christmas. After the second leg of her flight gets cancelled due to a large snowstorm, she has to find a way to get back to her mom, who she worries about. Her mom, who tragically lost her sister to cancer exactly one year prior. Since Mira's mom and aunt were twins, they were very close.


        By some miracle (pun intended), Mira meets Harper, who is a rich, classy Asian girl. Harper managed to get ahold of a car rental and offers to give Mira a ride back home. At first Mira is hesitant, but eventually decides to go. 
        Harper then introduces Mira to Brecken, Josh, and Kayla who are also "hitchhiking" a ride with Harper. Everyone except Mira is in college, but Mira doesn't want to tell them because she feels she might be ostracized for it. 
        As the story progresses, the group goes through a number of challenges. For the most part, all is going well, until some of their belongings start to disappear. Soon, they discover a machete behind one of their car seats. Before long, the car ride devolves into a game of Who Done It. It seems as though one of these hitchhikers is trying to sabotage the trip.
        Could it be Harper? Brecken? Josh? Kayla? It could even be Mira. This book is a fantastically written mystery book. It'll have you questioning who the Saboteur is until the very end. I would recommend this book to anyone who looks a thrill, but is ready for a little blood.


Comments

  1. Wow! What a rollercoaster of emotions! Going to an emotional start of the story to this mystery feeling is really interesting! This book is a must read now! Good job buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right Samuel! This books seems like a thriller and James wrote an (mira)culously great review with some funny puns and long words like ostracized and saboteur that make sure to challenge readers vocabulary, and keep them engaged!!! Amazing review James!!! Keep going at it sport!!!!

      Delete
  2. The "but is ready for a little blood" caught me a bit off guard, but since I love mystery/detective books this could be a good book for me to read. Also isn't that the name of a movie? (I checked and it's actually the movie for this book, probably gonna watch that instead)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such an interesting review. I love how you made it into a mystery yourself, but the book sounds really interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting review on the book. I'll definitely try to read the book sometime

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at machete. I'm really in a thriller book phase of my life right now, but I've been at a standstill since I've run out of books I immediately think of when visiting the library. I'm very interested in how and why Mira could actually be the saboteur (we love a good unreliable narrator) and now I want to read the hopefully detailed descriptions of these five lovely strangers dying. I hope all the clues are tied up at the end and we get a nice story of the real protagonist versus the killer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds very intriguing. Nice review! I did not expect the machete part at all. Maybe I will read this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey James! This books sounds really interesting. I love how your review was able to capture the feeling of suspense and mystery in the story. I think I'll definitely read this book the future. Great review James! 😁 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham