All Quiet on the Western Front: A review

 Hello, I am Samuel Troconis, and this is my review on the book All Quiet on the Western Front


    The book starts off with Paul, a young German boy who lied about his age to
fight in the first world war along with his friends. They are all sent to fight, all of them filled with joy, thinking about the adventure they will experience, but they would later be shown that they are face to face with death, experiencing the horrors of war. Paul witnesses the death of all of his friends, who die one by one. Paul gets the news about the end of the war on the 11th of November at 11:00 AM. So he is sent for an attack to end the war in a victory. Near the end of the book, Paul dies, minutes before the end of the war. The book ends with the phrase "This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who even though they may have escaped its shells, were destroyed by the war. 


I personally really enjoyed this book. It has a lot of great character developments, as we see the character's personality change as the book progresses. The book has many aspects of action and thrill. It had great imagery and details that helped me imagine the setting, the events and the characters. A movie of the book was also made, so watching the movie helped me compare aspects between it and the book. I would greatly recommend this book for people who enjoy action books.


Thanks for Reading.


Comments

  1. Great review Samuel! I really enjoyed your summary, and it was interesting hearing how Paul and his friend went to great measures to get into war for a "adventure", and how that turned out to be the absolute opposite of an adventure, with every single one of them dying. It really showed the other side of the war, and I really don't understand why anyone would send their troops on an attack to end the war with a victory. Wasn't the purpose of the ending of this war to stop the bloodshed, not increase it? Why would they want to risk these lives, just for a victory no one would care about in the end. Eitherway, great review Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this book seems intense. Reading your review sent chills down my spine and I am very intrigued. If this book is written as well as you make it seem in your review I definitely want to read it. Thank you so much for informing me of this book I have never heard of, I will check it out and let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard lots about this book, especially since the movie adaptation has won many awards and your review has also piqued my interest. I would love to check it out sometime as it seems to tell an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sam, I have always been really interested in the world wars and would love to learn more about them. Will definitely check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like this is a great example of karma, as Paul wasn't supposed to fight and ended up dying. Great review Samuel!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham