A Blog about Blogs - Anthony

We’ve almost made it through another school year at Uni! Unfortunately, this means that it is finally time to say goodbye to our beloved Language and Literature 2 blogs. To complete my set of blogs, I thought it would be fitting to share my opinion of these blogs themselves.

One thing I appreciated was that these blogs forced most of us to read something. Outside of the literature we read for class last year – Akata Witch, Macbeth, and whatever you read for the Banned Book Project – I didn’t read anything else. Yet this year I picked up 7 books to read in my own time, in addition to the 4 books we read together in class. And I happened to enjoy it – I had the freedom to choose whatever I wanted to read, and other people’s blogs provided great recommendations for what to read next.

But there were times where these blogs weren’t so fun. In my last blog, for example, I mentioned that I forced myself to plow through Animal Farm in one evening because I needed to write my blog soon – though in hindsight, it was probably because I put off reading it for 4 entire weeks. My point is that despite the somewhat lenient deadlines, for a lot of us these blogs became stressful at times, especially when other schoolwork was piling up. In my experience 4 weeks was usually enough time to read something and draft a short essay about it – as long as I didn’t procrastinate.

As a whole, these blogs were a good and casual way to get a lot of us to experience more literature. I’d like to end on a kind of Dr. Banke-type “historical significance”: it is only by reading and writing more that we become better writers. The skill of writing may be vastly more important than you think – it applies not just to Language and Literature 2, not just to classes at Uni, not just to the entire realm of academia, but to life itself. Whether you end up becoming an accountant, or doctor, or artist, or anything, writing will inevitably sneak into your daily life. It’s for our future benefit that we continue to read and write throughout our future years at Uni and beyond. And with that, it’s time to bid farewell to this year’s blogs. Happy reading!

- Anthony

Comments

  1. Hello Anthony. Cool outlook on blogging. I also found them to be a great way to exercise reading and writing skills, and a way to get more reading recommendations and read more books. Overall this was a great way to finish up the blog cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anthony, this is a cool and in-depth blog that I think I can relate with. I also agree with your "historical significance" in this blog. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anthony, I agree that these blogs made people who are not likely to read more books than they absolutely have to read more. I also think that reading more makes your a far better writer and can help you hugely in life as a whole. Personally, I read in my free time, so I would've read with or without these blogs. Overall, cool idea for a blog and a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anthony! I agree with a lot of the stuff you mentioned. I think blogs were a good idea. They helped me get back into reading at least somewhat regularly. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham