Summer reading! (Blog by Daniel Lee)

  As finals are approaching within less than a month, I know lots of us may be stressed. But, looking on the upside, summer break is approaching soon! Summer is a great time where we can read new books or even reread books. For this blog, I’m going to recommend some books while also talking about some books I’m interested in reading too. First, let's go over some books I’ve read during our independent reading days that I would recommend.



The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie


If you love mystery novels, this book is made for you. Agatha Christie is one of the most renowned detective novel writers, and The A.B.C. Murders is one of her best books. In the novel, the detective, Hercule Poirot, finds himself in a cat and mouse game with a serial killer. Poirot finds himself in a pickle where the killer seems impossible to find, but is able to find a sliver of hope through tiny clues. This novel is very well written, and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in mystery.



The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


When I first heard about the book, I never expected to actually enjoy the book. I reluctantly decided to read the book, and it was one of the best choices I made. The Fault in Our Stars is a book that was beautifully written. The story is about Hazel Grace, a 16 year old who is diagnosed with stage 4 thyroid cancer. Hazel doesn’t have much of a social life until she meets the boy who will change her life, Augustus Waters. The story pulls on the heartstrings of readers, and I would personally recommend this book to anyone. I also wrote a blog about this book too, so I will link it at the bottom of this post.



Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


I read this book last summer, and I hope to read it again this summer. Thirteen Reasons Why is a story that follows the life of Hannah Baker, a girl who had recently committed suicide. Before her death, she leaves seven double sided cassette tapes, each side telling one of thirteen total stories. 

Each story points to a specific person and is a reason why she committed suicide. After Hannah’s death, these cassette tapes find their way to the doorsteps of the person in the first story. The cassettes are passed on through each person, and eventually finds its way to Clay, the narrator of the story. Overall this was a great novel that keeps on coming back to my mind. I hope to read it again this summer.



Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes


I haven’t read Flowers for Algernon, but I’ve heard about the book so much from my friends and even online. I heard that the book elicits a great deal of emotion, and I’m curious to see if I will have the same experience. Over the school year, I started the book, reading just about 20 pages, but I never got to finishing it because I got overwhelmed with school work. Hopefully this doesn't happen again!



The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien


Last summer, my family members and I spent about 2-3 days watching the film series, and I remember being amazed by the movies. I immediately wanted to read the book, but like always, I never found to actually read the book. Over the summer, I plan to read the book, then I plan to watch the movie trilogy so that I can compare the two.



That’s all for this blog. Summer is approaching fast, and there’s so much to do, so pick up a book! 




The blog I mentioned earlier:

https://kkrdblogs.blogspot.com/2023/11/the-fault-in-our-stars-by-john-green.html


Comments

  1. Thanks for all the recommendations! I will be sure to look into reading some of them this summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel. It's funny cause a lot of these books are on my to-read list as well. I've always wanted to read A.B.C. Murders as I am a big fan of mystery novels. I've also read one of Agatha Christie's other books, "Murder on the Orient Express", and want to keep reading her writing style. I've always heard of John Green's books but never actually read them, so "The Fault in our Stars" and other books such as "Looking for Alaska" and "Paper Towns" are on my list. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham