The Cousins: A Review By Jenny Nham

 


    I think it's easy for me to say that my current favorite author has to be Karen M. McManus. After reading One of Us is Lying I picked up The Cousins at the library during Spring Break. When I was reading this book, I kind of thought it was, "Meh," but that may be because of my high expectations for this book as I loved One of Us is Lying.

    The Cousins centers around three cousins (hence the title), Milly, Aubrey, and Jonah, who were cut off by their wealthy grandmother, Mildred, for an unknown reason. Milly, Aubrey, and Jonah didn't really know each other well despite being related. Sure, they met a handful of times, but they never really got to know each other. One day, these three cousins receive an unusual invitation in their mail, an invitation to work at Mildred's island resort for the summer. Being forced to go by their parents (as their parents wouldn't take no for an answer) Milly, Aubrey, and Jonah went to the island. As they work, they uncover the family's dark secrets as well as getting closer as cousins.
    In my opinion, this novel wasn't my favorite read. It was in McManus' classic mystery writing style, but it just wasn't my favorite. It was kind of bland. It's like your typical family mystery book. I don't think it was really that satisfying at all. The ending is predictable, and kind of boring. I'm not sure if I just don't like family-related books, or if it's the actual book itself.
    Here's the biggest question: Would I recommend this book? No, not really, unless they are looking for a simple read. I would rate this a 5/10.

Comments

  1. Hello Jenny. Awn, it's unfortunate that you found this book a boring read. I love to read books of the same author too, & nothing annoys me more when they had their eye-opening debut and everything that follows just slides down hill. I cannot relate more to that dissapointment feeling :(. Anyway, cool blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Jenny, I like mystery books, so I might have to put this on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny. I personally hate mystery books, so I will not be adding this to my list 😭

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham