Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison: Leo Rota

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that after reading both this book and The Bluest Eye I can without a doubt say that Toni Morrison is my favorite author. She writes in a way that is so emotionally powerful that reading other books, even good ones like Purple Hibiscus, does not excite me emotionally to the same extent. 

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison is an amazing book that covers themes of identity, family, and race. It tells the story of Macon Dead III or Milkman (his nickname) in his growth and discovery of his family's history. From the very beginning of the story Toni Morrison starts off with the emotionally powerful writing I loved in The Bluest Eye: 

At 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday the 18th of February, 1931, I will take off from Mercy and fly away on my own wings. Please forgive me. I loved you all.

(signed) Robert Smith,

Ins. Agent                   (Toni Morrison 3)

While the narrative style, another part of The Bluest Eye that I loved, was not the exact same in Song of Solomon, the powerful way in which Toni Morrison uses words coupled with amazing story telling makes every single sentence of this book enjoyable to read. More than any other author I have ever read, Toni Morrison does an amazing job of giving the internal thoughts and feelings of a character. While other authors attempt to give the exact thoughts of a character, Toni Morrison takes the realistic thought process of someone going through these horrifying events and describes these ideas with beautiful symbolism and metaphors. 

This book is amazing and I recommend for anyone looking for a book with a complex story, characters, and writing style. While I still hold a special place in my heart for The Bluest Eye as it was the first book I read by Toni Morrison, this book was still amazing and I recommend reading all of Toni Morrison’s books.  

Comments

  1. Hi Leo, it's really cool to see you reading another book my the same other! Thank you for posting about Toni Morrison. With all the hype you've been giving, I'd love to borrow one of her books from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leo, I have heard a lot of good things about Toni Morrison's books and would really like to check them out after reading this. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leo. This book definitely looks interesting. I love how you're able to draw comparisons to "The Bluest Eye." I think that it gives a good visual for future readers. I'll check this book out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Leo, I have also heard a lot of good things about Toni Morrison's books. I would like to check them out sometime and read them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Leo, After reading The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison I've been looking for more of her work to read. Thank you for this suggestion very nice blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham