Wonder: A Childhood Classic By Jenny Nham

 


    Hi! Welcome back to my blog. Today, I will be discussing the book Wonder by R. J. Palacio. I read this book in fifth grade, which if you think about it, wasn't that long ago. I remember hearing my peers enjoying the book in previous years, so I decided to give it a read. When I read it, 
I was immediately attached to this book. Even to this day, I can still remember a decent amount of detail from this book, even though I read it four years ago.

    Wonder is about August ("Auggie") who deals with a genetic condition called Treacher Collins syndrome, which affects how his face develops. This left Auggie to be homeschooled his entire life, up until his fifth grade year. He was enrolled in a private school called Beacher Prep, where started to get bullied by his peers. Despite his bullies, he ends up making friends at the school as well. In Wonder, the author mainly focuses on Auggie learning how to be independent.

    I really enjoyed reading Wonder when I was younger, and I would even reread the novel now.  Growing up, I wasn't exposed to things like disabilities (although I do know how things like being born without some limbs or things like that), so reading Wonder, it opened my eyes to a new perspective of how people were born. I was really shocked about how much money it is to care for someone with disabilities, not to mention the bullying they'll get when they go to school (even if it's private). Overall, I would rate this book a 9.8/10.

Comments

  1. Hi Jenny. I also remember reading Wonder when I was younger. I also watched the movie with my mom (we left the movie theater together with tears in our eyes), and I really enjoyed the heartwarming moment he has with his friends in the end. I also really liked how his helmet became his "item" to enter his own imaginary world, which I thought was very unique. I thought it was a very good book to teach me the importance of strong friendships. I was wondering why you took 0.2 points off of the rating (just to my curiosity). Good review👍.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took .2 points off just because there were some things that frustrated me (but not entirely to make me hate the book), but the rest I loved

      Delete
    2. Hey Jenny! I'm also curious about your rating. Without spoiling too much, what kinds of things frustrated you? Do you think these details could maybe add more emotion/character development to the story? Or was it the way the plot was composed? What would you change to make it a 10/10?

      Delete
  2. I also read wonder in 5th grade, though that might be because we were in the same school. I also thought wonder was a really good book, and opened a lot of people's eyes. I agree with your rating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems so long ago since I read Wonder! I can't remember too much about the book, but I think there was a movie or something that also came out about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Wonder a while ago as well (I think it was 6th grade). I think Wonder is a beautiful and heartwarming book that shows the growth and struggles of Auggie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember watching the movie a couple years ago, and I enjoyed it. I remember trying to read wonder after I watched the movie, but since I knew what was going to happen I didn't finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell in love with Wonder as soon as I read it (I don't recall exactly when, but it was also probably around 5th grade). I'm glad I'm not the only one who really enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny, I watched the movie and really enjoyed it. I also remember reading the book in elementary school. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I had never read the book myself in 5th grade, it was and is still one of the most common books for kids to read in that age group. I have seen a few clips of the movie floating around the internet but I do think that I would have enjoyed the book if I read it then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham