Leo Rota: "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeleine L'engle Movie and Book Comparison

 


A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books. It is an amazing sci-fi story that has interesting characters and an even more interesting plot. The story follows Meg, her brother Charles, and her friend Calvin throughout their journey in space on a mission to rescue Meg’s father. The main antagonist of the book is an entity known as The Dark Thing or also IT a very powerful creature that takes many forms and represents darkness. One of the best parts of the way the book gives incredible descriptions of unsettling creatures like IT and the surrounding world.

I believe that this is one of the reasons the movie version of A Wrinkle in Time was such a letdown for me. The incredible images I had made in my head while reading the book were nothing like the ones shown in the movie. This was not only due to a difference in interpretation but also what seemed to me a complete disregard for the book’s detailed descriptions. Furthermore, the movie version cut out some of the most important parts of the story and heavily simplified the plot. This oversimplification also affected the characters, making them very one dimensional and boring. So much was different from the book that the ending was changed and cut extremely short, removing a big chunk of the book. Overall, my experience watching the movie for A Wrinkle in Time was very negative, in contrast to my love for the book. Too much was different between the two and it was very disappointing how a book I liked so much had been practically ruined.

Comments

  1. I watched the movie version a few years ago. The movie was not as good as I expected either. Now that I have read your analysis, I'm considering to add the book to my reading list to see the difference between the book and the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leo, I remember reading this book in the fourth grade and being very disappointed by the movie after seeing it in theaters as well. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leo, I'm one of those people who never read the book, and only watched the movie, and I actually found the movie really enjoyable. I can't imagine how incredible the book "A Wrinkle In Time" might be to have the movie be such a letdown. Thanks for the informative review, and I might even end up reading the book just to get a ide-by-side comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Leo, your book review is a great analysis and it surely convinces me into reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Leo, Astonishing work! I always enjoy your book blogs and your opinions on literature. This comparison between the book and the movie makes me want to read the book because I didn't like the movie that much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Leo, thanks for your review! I'm usually one to like the movie more than the book. But that's probably only because I watch the movie before reading the book. I've heard of A Wrinkle In Time before and in the past have considered watching the movie. Now I'll read the book because of what you said. Thanks, Ava Roberts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham