You Reached Sam: A Review By Jenny Nham

     Hello! Welcome to my review of You Reached Sam by Dustin Thao. During the early days of August, I decided to read a book because I didn't read much over summer break. The book I chose to read was You've Reached Sam. My best friend read this book awhile back, and she recommended it to me after she finished. At first, I didn't want to read it because I wasn't entirely interested in books during the time, so she spoiled the ending for me. Nevertheless, I still decided to pick it up from the library and read it. 

    You've Reached Sam is a book about Julie dealing with the death of her boyfriend, Sam. Sam had died while studying during the Summer in Japan due to a car accident. Reasonably enough, Julie couldn't take this death well, and she even skipped his funeral as she was in denial. She did everything to try to forget Sam like getting rid of his belongings.
    However, after reading a quote that Sam had left for her in their high school yearbook, Julie was frantic to hear his voice again. She decided to call his number, wanting to hear his voicemail recording. Surprisingly enough, Sam picked up the phone. In an unexplained reason, Sam and Julie have a connection, but they both know that this situation wouldn't last forever. As they talk, Julie would continue to fall in love with his voice. When the connection ends, Julie would have to deal with the heartbreak, and learn to accept her now dead boyfriend's death. 
    During the first couple pages of this book, I found it rather boring. However, I persevered and continued to read the book. As I continued to read it, the more I fell deeper within the book. Although Julie was just a fictional character, I felt a lot of sympathy with her as I read. The author, Dustin Thao continued to change my mind and made me wonder if Sam was still alive. It was like he was playing mind tricks. 
    After I finished the book, I was reading some reviews of the book. There were people who hated it, which I could understand, but in my opinion, I really enjoyed it. Sure, I didn't shed any tears, but I still enjoyed how the characters were like. This book really touched on Julie's grief of Sam's death. Overall, I liked this book and would rate it a 9/10.

Comments

  1. Hoi Jenny! Great review! I read this book last semester and I really enjoyed it! I also loved the author's writing, especially the way he subtly used cherry blossoms as an allusion to Julie's feelings. When I was reading this book I found the first chapters captivating, the middle part turned a little boring because to me, I felt like there wasn't really anything else besides romance, I didn't quite find the other stuff too interesting(like the Julie & school storyline), or maybe it's just I was too eager to see the result of their "connection" :D But the ending part was really good though, his letter was so touching and subdued. (I thought I was going to tear up but apparently I didn't???????) Anyways! Awesome job :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! I tried to read this book last year, hoping it would make me feel something inside (I was informed by booktok that it would "break me"), but the first chapters thoroughly disappointed me to the point that I was way too bored to continue through. It just felt like the author tried to describe, in painstaking detail, all the wrong things. I definitely commend you for finishing this book, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Palestine-Israel conflict

The Struggle to Read (James)

Ranking the Dog Man Books From 2016-2018 By Jenny Nham